Skip to main content

Running In The Rain (May 6, 2020)

What a shitty day for a run. It’s somehow cold again which makes sense now because Philadelphia is now adjusting to climate change and providing us with a rotation of  2 days beautiful Spring weather, one day cold miserable weather. It’s only fair that Mother Nature curses us like this as we (humans) shit all over her year after year. 


Alongside the colder temperature, there is rain. Not a downpour and not a mist, rather a perfectly in between rain that is downright annoying. With this being said, I can honestly say that I was kind of excited to take a run in the rain. I think this is because it sounds like something ‘real’ runners do and I want to be a ‘real’ runner. Therefore, I ran in the rain tonight. 


Whether or not this made me a ‘real’ runner or not - I will leave up to you, but running in the cold rain was what it sounds like it would be - shit. Not even a quarter into the run, I was completely soaked and cursing every step I took. As I planned, I decided to not use the running app and instead, run at a pace that my body told me was right. I honestly couldn’t tell what my body wanted because my body was so annoyed with the environment I was forcing it to run in that it refused to let me ‘feel’ anything. 


I felt tired during the whole run and while my breathing started to even out halfway through and my pace continued to improve (compared to my other runs), my mind felt consumed the entire run. Rather than having the clarity that I have experienced earlier this week, my mind felt cloudy and full of negative thoughts. My brain kept telling me how bad of a runner I am. I felt swallowed by finances and work. I thought about our upcoming wedding and how it might have to be rescheduled due to COVID-19. I thought about how angry I was that running wasn’t something easy for me. I considered that my bad food choices throughout the day (oreos and tortilla chips) made this run even more awful than it was already. 


This post clearly shows that it wasn’t my best run, if not for nothing, because of my headspace. However, I can say that even with all of the negativity surrounding my run, there was still that voice deep in my gut telling me to keep going. Keep pushing. Just a little further. You’re almost there. I want to rip this voice out from my body and hug it tightly sometimes because it is this voice that keeps me going and this voice that believes in me even when my brain refuses to do so. I know I am going to need that voice over and over again as I venture into becoming a ‘real’ runner so I hope she is ready to put in some work.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Run (May 2, 2020)

I did it. Today I went on my first outdoor run and it was fucking hard. While it was one of the most challenging forms of exercise that I have done in a long time, it was also one of the best things I have done for myself in a long time.  I decided to use the infamous Couch to 5K app that I have heard a bunch of other people talk about. I get it. The app is pretty awesome as it gets you off the couch and up to a 5k run in 8 weeks. Each week hosts 3 different runs which alternate between running and walking. It was honestly a really effective tool that allowed me to actually make it through the 30 minute workout.  I want to write out this well thought out dialogue about how the run went, what it felt like during the 30 minutes, and how I feel now that I am home and showered. However, I am pretty hangry and feel unable to properly articulate my thoughts. Instead, I am going to give you a general idea of what the experience was like:  First, I feel really fucking proud of myself. I am

A Change Of Pace (May 4, 2020)

Today’s run was so horrific and so glorious that I don't even know where to start.  Unlike the past two days, I didn’t have an overwhelming sense of anxiety pre-run. There was anxiety, but it wasn’t crippling like yesterday. Rather, I was more consumed with laziness. Finding the motivation to get off the couch, off the computer, put down the book, and take my eyes off the television was just so damn hard today.  I took Reggie for an afternoon walk which both he and I were quite exhausted from. Early into our walk I could feel the soreness from the past two days pulsing up and down my legs. My feet slightly aching where the arch should be in my foot (as a reminder I have ZERO arch in both feet - aka the flattest feet in the world - aka the worst feet in the world). This pain only further pushed me to want to take a rest day which in all honesty, could probably be used. I have done some form of exercise every single day for about 2 weeks now. However, as much as I wanted to just lay

It's Been A While (May 12, 2020)

I am pretty unhappy with myself for letting go of this journal the past few days. I was really on a streak: a running streak and a journal streak. Before I get to today’s run, here’s a recap of what you have missed: Rest Days : Even though I hate the idea of taking a rest day from running, I know that they are important. While there have been some rest days that involved me only taking the dog for a walk, most of the days I am not running, I am using to do weighted/banded workouts at home. I can’t lie - I am definitely worried that rest days will slow down my running progress, but my legs feel a lot less worn down when I give them a rest here and there.  #RUNWITHMAUD : On Friday the 8th, I joined over 500k people in the Run With Maud dedication distance run. Hosted by Shaun King, the run was a dedication to Ahmaud Arbery who was wrongfully murdered by two white men in Georgia. While the 2.23 mile run was done by myself in my neighborhood, it was the first time I ran with a purpose; one